Texas Mediation Trainers Roundtable presents its annual Train the Trainer workshop in Austin, Texas on Thursday, February 20, 2014 at the Better Business Bureau from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Tickets are $150 for TMTR members and $180 for non-members. Breakfast, lunch, and afternoon wine and snacks are included.
This year’s program features Dr. Gerald Monk, professor in the Department of Counseling and School Psychology at San Diego State University. Dr. Monk is also the founding partner, trainer, and consultant for MGL Healthcare Communications and Conflict Transformation and has co-authored numerous articles and books including Narrative Therapy in Practice: The Archaeology of Hope (1997), Narrative mediation: A new approach to conflict resolution (2000), New Horizons in Multicultural Counseling (2008), Practicing Narrative Mediation: Loosening the grip of conflict (2008), When Stories Clash: Addressing Conflict through Narrative mediation (2013).
Train the Trainer Workshop Schedule
8:30 a.m. - Continental breakfast provided
9:00 a.m. – noon - Dr. Monk presents:
Theory underpinning Narrative Practice
- the 10 Hallmarks of a narrative approach to resolving conflict.
- the practices that underlie narrative ideas such as externalizing conversations, relative influence questioning, mapping the effects, double listening and constructing counter stories.
- helping mediators separate themselves from the divisiveness of a dispute and create shared meaning.
- narrative approaches to opening new possibilities for understanding within the midst of a conflict.
- how to acknowledge the cultural influences that impact the parties in conflict.
noon – 1:30 p.m. - Lunch provided
1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. - Dr. Monk presents:
Exercises and roleplays that group trainers can use to teach narrative practices to their students.
- externalizing conversations
- engaging in double listening and absent but implicit conversations
- practicing conflict coaching using narrative techniques
- working with counter stories
4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. - Wine and bites provided